So first of all, I usually like to do transactions through my Etsy (x
), but if you can't do that, I also accept orders via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Hey guys! So this year, I'm trying to get some extra money to put towards university next year, and therefore I am now taking costume commissions! I've already done a couple, unfortunately I have no photos just yet (one was recently sent out and the other's buyer wasn't able to wear it to the con she wanted to because her wig didn't arrive on time), but if I get any they will be posted on my Facebook page (x
I'll be accepting costume commissions for basically everything that isn't super tight-fitting or involved with shoes or gloves. I can do specific pieces of a costume as well, along with small props or accessories that the costume might have on it. All payments will be done via PayPal. So, how do you commission something from me?
1. Go to my Etsy and send me a message (or request a custom order) or send me an email at email@example.com including a reference photo, the pieces you would like to commission, the date you need it for, your address for shipping calculation, and any other additional info you may have to give me. I can do rush orders, but I really prefer having a least a month to make it (especially during January, May, and June, when I have exams). Please check my commission calendar waaaay down below to see if I have a free slot for you ^^ Easier costumes can be fit in with other costumes in the same slot, so if you think the commission isn't too complex, drop me a note anyway~! ^^
2. If I decide that I can make the costume pieces (as in, my current skill level would produce good results), I'll reply with a general quote. I really do my best to balance quality and not having an incredibly high price (as a cosplayer, I understand that sometimes money isn't too readily available, lol), and I make a conscious effort not to go over the quote I gave you. I will also tell you what kind of fabric I want to use on the costume, so that you can disagree if you need to, like if I say I'll use pleather and you really don't want that, you would tell me at that point
This also goes for things like shiny vs. non-shiny, so if I like non-shiny fabrics and you want it to be shiny, you would tell me. The way I choose fabrics is dependent on two things: the quality, and the price. If I know a fabric is a little more expensive than an alternative that may not look as good, I will ask you which you prefer (or if you're willing to spend more money to get a better look). Please note that quotes do not include shipping.
3. From then on, I would go out and buy the materials I need for the costume pieces. Important for e-mail orders: I do require a $20 insurance fee at this point if you order via email. It will be seen as a deposit of sorts towards the final price, so don't worry, it's not $20 extra ^^ The fee should be sent to my PayPal, firstname.lastname@example.org. The reason for this is that Etsy has seller protection, and email does not
4. This is the time during which I create the costume pieces, and unless you ask for progress photos in Step 1 or in an email after Step 2, I won't provide you with any. This step can be short or long depending on the costume (I would say maximum two months, and it shouldn't even be that, unless you've given my a Sakizou commission, haha).
5. Shipping time, yay~! You will get a photo of the costume pieces in a collage, so you can see everything included in the package! I'll give you shipping options with the prices (they are approximate, and I also have to buy the packaging, so they will be a few dollars more than listed on the Canada Post website when I search for your shipping prices, but I will refund you the difference if the shipping cost ends up lower).
6. This is optional, but I really would appreciate it if you told me when you receive your package~ Shipping things out stresses me out a bit, so I do like to know when you get it so I can stop worrying
A photo of you in the costume would be awesometastic as well, if you're comfortable with me putting it on my Facebook page!
And there you have it, folks. Now for some technical, FAQ-type details.What if the package gets lost during shipping?
Sorry, but that's not my fault, but I will give you a refund on my profits--aka my 'pay' during the time I spend working on your costume (not the material cost). What if I suddenly decide I don't want the costume anymore?
You'll still have to pay material costs, but that's it. I'll stop making your costume, and you'll go your merry way~ ^_^What if my costume doesn't fit?
If it's too big, then adjusting that is usually pretty easy. If it's too small to even squeeze into, there's not really much I can do about it--I'll refund you my profits, but not the material cost.How do I take my measurements?
<-- SUPER IMPORTANT
Bust: basically where your nipples are, all around that area.
Waist: smallest part of your torso.
Hips: 9" below the waist. The biggest part of your butt
Height: well, uh, your height. y'know, something foot something inches?
I might ask for others depending on the costume, but these are the most important.I need custom/specialty fabric for the costume!
I'll order some specially from Spoonflower.com, but it WILL cost more and it WILL take more time. If your order includes specialty fabric, I will tell you in advance (like stretch vinyl, I can only get that stuff online; but I hate it please don't make me use it
).Other questions should be posed in the comments below, via my email, through a dA note, through Etsy--whatever, as long as it's getting to me, lol.
~ Spells Ninja Monkey ~Commission Calendar for the next six months